Signin with

Your email address
UserRules Password
Login

REAR is unproporionally difficult

Follow
Vote
Unfollow
Here's an idea: Make the hint a bit more helpful. You can't possibly do a brute force attack on this problem within 5 minutes... I'm thinking about connecting GRIMM to this problem because it's the only implementation of the Hannenhalli-Pevzner algorithm that is available anywhere (which seems to be the *only* way to solve this NP-hard problem in any manageable timeframe).
I actually kinda enjoyed ROSALIND until REAR...
from Darkstar · 4 years & 352 days ago · · 8 comments
Yes, it's rather difficult but nethertheless solvable via pure Python in 5 minutes.
from Aleksey Kladov · 4 years & 348 days ago · Flag as inappropriate
Good Comment
I too am having difficulty trying to come up with a way to address this problem. Having a hint that is more than just a subjective evaluation of an approach ("ugly") would be useful. Is this "ugly", inelegant, brutish or what?
from anonymous · 4 years & 345 days ago · Flag as inappropriate
Good Comment
It's actually not too bad, if only the hint was more useful. Maybe mention / describe breakpoints in there, and the question would be more educational, and a bit easier.
from anonymous · 4 years & 307 days ago · Flag as inappropriate
Good Comment
I agree that it's not terrible, but the hint can be rephrased to say that it's ok to use "an exhaustive approach" instead of "an ugly approach".
from anonymous · 4 years & 267 days ago · Flag as inappropriate
Good Comment
The problem is quite a quantum leap from the previous questions but I think that it is probably made so by the rather vague hint. I implemented a solution that ignores the brute force approach and instead just looks for the breaks between joined, sequential numbers. A hint that prompts a solution along these lines would probably be more helpful.
from anonymous · 4 years & 126 days ago · Flag as inappropriate
Good Comment
I thought we were supposed to solve these problems with Rosalind. Are we supposed to use Rosalind or Python or whatever we want? In what programming language does the answer have to be to get credit for answering the question?
from anonymous · 4 years & 25 days ago · Flag as inappropriate
Good Comment
it is not that hard, my code written in about half an hour, on a rather slow machine...

kub4@cthulhu:~/rosalind/stronghold/07-REAR> python3 -m cProfile ./rear.py rosalind_rear.txt
160834 function calls in 0.186 seconds
from anonymous · 2 years & 300 days ago · Flag as inappropriate
Good Comment
it is not that hard, my code written in about half an hour, on a rather slow machine...

kub4@cthulhu:~/rosalind/stronghold/07-REAR> python3 -m cProfile ./rear.py rosalind_rear.txt
160834 function calls in 0.186 seconds
from anonymous · 2 years & 300 days ago · Flag as inappropriate
Good Comment
Write a comment... Comment

Similar Feedback

Where problem #11???
5 years & 33 days ago · Resolved
Empty file
2 years & 103 days ago · Pending
Problem List View Columns
4 years & 286 days ago · Accepted
Add Problem ID #